PRP for Hair Thinning
● Please discontinue blood thinning agents such as vitamin A, Ginkgo, Garlic, Flax, Cod Liver Oil, Omega 3 Fatty Acids, and multivitamins, a minimum of 7 days (preferably 14 days) prior to treatment.
● If you are taking any blood thinners, please notify us right away as they may represent a contraindication to this treatment. These medications include Plavix, Coumadin, and Heparin.
● Avoid aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Voltaren and other anti-inflammatory medications. These medications inhibit the mechanism by which PRP works. We want inflammation to occur.
● You may take Tylenol as needed prior to the treatment.
● Avoid excessive sun or heat exposure 3 days prior to treatment.
● Minimize or avoid alcohol 24-48 hours prior to treatment.
● For Hair Treatment- coloring your hair is permitted up to 7 days before the treatment.
● To ensure that you are adequately hydrated prior to your treatment please remember to drink 8-10 8oz glasses of water the day before your treatment session.
The Morning of Your Treatment:
● Shower the morning of your treatment and wash your hair very thoroughly using your regular shampoo. Do not apply sprays, gels, or any other styling products to your hair.
● If you wear a hair system, please remove it prior to shampooing and do not wear it before your PRP treatments.
● Please eat a normal breakfast or lunch the day of your PRP session.
● Please drink approximately 16 oz of water at least 2 hours prior to your treatment.
Post Treatment Instructions:
● Do not touch, press, rub or manipulate the treated area(s) for at least 8 hours after your treatment.
● Avoid Advil, Aleve, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Naprosyn, (all non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents), Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod liver, Omega 3 Fatty Acids (EPA, DHA), for at least 1 week prior to and 1 week after your treatment. Remember, our goal is to create inflammation. These listed medications will limit or prevent inflammation, which can diminish your results. If you must take Aspirin for cardiac reasons, you certainly may do so, but this may limit your results.
● It is normal to experience bruising, redness, itching, swelling and/or soreness that may last 1-3 days following your treatment. If you experience any pain or discomfort you may take Tylenol or other Acetaminophen- containing products as directed.
● We would prefer that you avoid applying ice to the injected area, as ice acts as an anti-inflammatory.
● Do not wet your hair for at least 3 hours after your treatment.
● Do not use any hair products for at least 6 hours after your treatment.
● Avoid saunas, steam rooms, swimming for 2 days after your treatment.
● Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 24 hours after your treatment.
● Minimize alcohol, caffeine, and smoking for 1-2 days after treatment. Smokers do not heal as well so recovery may be longer than normal
● Continue to increase water intake the first week after treatment.
● Please do not hesitate to call should you have any questions or concerns regarding your PRP treatment or aftercare.